We all do it… go on vacation and go nuts! Food, alcohol, laying on the beach for hours and hours and going home with 3-6 extra pounds of body fat we didn’t bring with us. After all, it’s a vacation, right? We shouldn’t have to live by the rules, right? Wrong! Don’t screw up your success with your reward. Instead, savor all of your hard work and let it show! Here’s how;
1. Don’t go crazy with food. If at all possible, cook for yourself. Cooking is good for your heart, your soul, your relationships, and oh yeah, your body. Even if you’re on your honeymoon, cooking together can be a great bonding experience. It works with kids, too. If you really want to eat out, look for the really healthy food on the menu (steak, chicken, ahi tuna, salad, sweet potato french fries – there are a million choices!)
2. Don’t go crazy with the alcohol – especially if you have been going without alcohol for the past few weeks to get skinny for this trip! For one thing, your tolerance is low so you don’t need as much to feel it. Enjoy it slowly with a big glass of water to keep you on track. For another thing, that would just sabotage everything you have worked so hard for and you don’t want to do that. Finally, you don’t need it anymore. You proved that by going without it for the past few weeks. You can still have fun, still be yourself, just without all the added calories and the added hangover!
3. Exercise. I know, it’s your vacation and you don’t feel like doing CrossFit. But you don’t have to go to a gym. If you want to do a CrossFit-esque workout you can do pushups, situps, squats and burpees and impress everyone in the hotel! You can even pack your cute little jump rope so that you can practice your Double Unders. If that kind of workout sounds boring (what???) – get out and see the sights. Hike, surf, walk, row – all the things you wanted to be able to do when you started doing CrossFit. You can do them now, so go on! Live your dreams!
Finally, get back to the gym and your regular schedule as soon as you get home. Remember, this is a lifestyle, not a quick fix!
Here are a few road WODs you can use for your trips!
- 10 Rounds of: 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 squats
- 20 Rounds of: 5 lunges, 5 squats, 5 situps
- 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Reps of situps with a 100m sprint between each
- 5 Rounds of: 3 vertical jumps, 3 squats, 3 long jumps
- 5 minutes of burpees – AMRAP
- 20 minute EMOM – 10 burpees OR lunges OR pushups OR situps (if you can’t finish burpees within the minute, skip the next minute)
- 8 Rounds of: handstand hold for 30 seconds, 10 squats
- Run 1 mile for time
- 5 Rounds: 5 burpees, 5o Double Unders (if you remembered your rope!)
If you’re feeling really tough, try these:
- Barbara – 5 Rounds of 20 pullups, 30 pushups, 40 situps, 50 squats (leave out pullups if no place to do them)
- Angie – 100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats
- Mary – 20 minute AMRAP – 5 handstand pushups, 10 1-legged squats, 15 pullups
- Annie – 50-40-30-20-10 Reps of Double Unders and Situps
- Blake-ish – 100 walking lunges, 30 box jumps, 20 squats, 10 Handstand pushups